It both parents can agree to a change on a change of name, then it is straight forward.

However if there is a disagree and both parents have parental responsibility for the child, then an application may need to be made to the court for a specific issues order.

In this case, a Mother was successful in her application to change the child's middle name as it was the same as an infamous public figure and she was concerned that it gave negative connotations.