When parties separate and they cannot agree over the arrangements for their children, it is sometimes necessary to ask the Court to assist and an application is made to the court for a Child Arrangements Order. 

Cafcass are the eyes and ears of the court and sometimes they are directed by the Judge to prepare a report and make recommendations as to the arrangements for the children i.e. who they should live with, how much time should they spend with the other parent etc. 

A Cafcass Officer has anonymously written an article about 'what they are really thinking' and it does not surprise me that their main sympathy lies with the children who can sometimes find themselves caught in the middle. 

If you and your ex-partner cannot agree arrangements for your children, and would wish to discuss the options available to you, the Family department of Dutton Gregory will be able to assist you.